Chapter 12. Pharmacokinetics (1 of 67) Sample Questions
1. A patient with COPD is using salbutamol, tiotropium, salmeterol and theophylline. He is a smoker and drinks alcohol daily. Recently, he quit smoking. What should concern the pharmacist?
- A. May increase risk of theophylline toxicity
- B. theophylline serum levels can lower than effective dose
- C. Theophylline serum levels will not change
- D. Patient should not quit smoking when using theophylline
Tips: smoking increased clearance of theophylline, so quitting smoking can decrease clearance and increase theophylline serum levels. (>20 mg/L)